Saturday, October 4, 2014

A Little Lesson

     In the past couple of days I've been thinking about Disneyland more often than not. Not only until a few seconds ago, literally, did I remember about a person I met the last time I went to California Adventures, which was late July of 2013 with my uncle and his family. I had gone on California Screamin' with my uncle and had a great time. My uncle went with his son and wife to the Toy Story ride so I decided to go back the the roller coaster as a single rider; I had discovered that there was a separate entrance for this purpose that was so much shorter than the main line.
     When my turn came to sit next to a stranger we made a little small talk. I noticed that the guy I was next to was handicapped, but still liked talking to me. After the ride ended I asked if he went on alone and he replied yes. I told him that he didn't have to wait in the long line if it was just him and that I could show him the way for single riders. I remember showing him the way and being kinda nervous. At some point he told me that he was from a state in the Midwest I'd like to say, I know that he told me which one it was but I forgot. He worked at a Nordstrom there, that I remember. When we got back on the ride we were separated because the single riders were to fill in spots. Later in the day I saw him while I was with my uncle and he waved and said hi first. Now that I think about it, I think I was somewhat embarrassed of being with him. When other people were in the elevator with us on the way to the ride, I was embarrassed that we were the only two talking and all eyes were on us because he was handicapped.
     I had just turned 16 then and why I thought that, I don't know. I guess I was even more concerned about what people thought of me then, than I do now. I'm totally ashamed now of how I acted and wish that I could've gotten his address and we could be pen pals or something. It's not every day that you meet someone from the other side of the country. I haven't thought about this since last year! I really do wish that I got to know him better and stuff. He was alone and I could've done so much more than I did. I guess I did do something in talking to him and showing him the shortcut, but still. I feel guilty and full of regret. This post went downhill fast. I can't help but feeling like an awful person because I was a little embarrassed to be with him when we were in the spotlight. Wow, I am really angry at myself for being selfish, gosh dang it, like seriously mad. It's a year and two months later and he probably doesn't remember me. It would be cool if he did, but I wonder how he would think of me. I mean, I was nice and liked talking to him, but what he doesn't know is that I could've done so much more and that's what kills me inside, knowing that I could've done more. He was a great guy and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to meet him.
     Well I guess I can learn a lesson here. "A person's a person no matter how small," the great Dr. Seuss wrote. Everyone matters, we are all individuals and nobody's life is worth more than another's. It isn't fair to judge and the stigma associated with people should not influence how I think or act with them. I should never be embarrassed of doing good, even if it's something that's been stigmatized. I shouldn't care about what people think of me. I don't live my life to please others, I want everyone to happy in his or her own life and if I can somehow make that happen I will, but not by turning my back on what I know is right. Okay,well it's taken over a year to make these realizations and turn this story around. I don't even think that I've told that story to anyone because it never came into a conversation, but now I can and tag this little lesson on, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment