Monday, October 6, 2014

Acute definition

Okay, so I was looking at the vocab list #5 and one of the last words had 'acute' in the definition and I didn't know what this word mean, to be honest, after looking it up I still don't understand. I associate it with the geometrical acute angle but obviously it's not the same. I have a dilemma. If anyone can further describe the definition so I can understand I'd be grateful.

via Google
a·cute
əˈkyo͞ot/
adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a bad, difficult, or unwelcome situation or phenomenon) present or experienced to a severe or intense degree.
    "an acute housing shortage"
    synonyms:severecriticaldrasticdiredreadfulterribleawfulgravebad,seriousdesperatedangerous
    "acute food shortages"

  2. 2.
    having or showing a perceptive understanding or insight: shrewd.
    "an acute awareness of changing fashions"

No comments:

Post a Comment