Monday, March 2, 2015

Huxley: Essayito

     First of all, I don't know what about him that really irritated me, but it did. Maybe because it was that I didn't agree with him on many of the topics he touched on. Maybe, it was how he touched on the topics that bothered me, too. To me he seemed too overconfident in his responses. Okay, well there's that. I do not believe that we are living in the brave new world that Huxley predicted. I might be influenced by how much I was irked by the man.
     He spoke about enemies of freedom being two things: overpopulation and over-organization. I did not like the claim he made about the Catholics being against abortion to help the Communists. I don't think that overpopulation is so much of an enemy to freedom. I am not in favor of killing people off or not letting them be born. I understand that supply is not going to meet demand at one point or another, but I 'd hope that people will figure out how to help one another.
     The over-organization part I can see where he's coming from since he is in the fifties (?) and historically a lot of bad people were coming into power along with the end of the Second World War. He was experiencing these things first hand and had a good reason to believe that sometime the propaganda and dictatorship will take over so much that there's no turning back. He did say that it won't be a "who," but a "what." That being technological advancements.
     I would hope that the general population could be responsible enough with the technology that we're being brought up with. The idea of potential misuse was very accurate, I do agree with that. Maybe being someone who is more conscious about it, I like to believe that it won't turn out badly. I don't exactly think that the devices are going to grow legs and terrorize us, so I'm not too clear on the start of whatever harm occurs. Unfortunately I have noticed in my lifetime the dependency we have on technology.
     We are not living in the brave new world that Huxley was speaking about in his interview or the book, but there are glimpses and signs that what he was saying had validity. He still bothers me.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment