Tuesday, January 20, 2015

ALL THAT DAVID COPPERFIELD KIND OF CRAP


     I think that Salinger didn't want to add anything other than what was necessary for Catcher in the Rye and Holden's personality, in particular. What I see is that Dickens uses a lot of words to describe what he's trying to say. The full title of David Copperfield is The Personal History, Adventures, Experience and Observation of David Copperfield the Younger of Blunderstone Rookery (Which He Never Meant to Publish on Any Account), how much wordier can you get? Dickens does such a thorough job vividly describing everything, from the setting to the simplest of actions that the characters do, all of the words provide for an acute depiction. Dickens also uses so many characters to bring together stories like David Copperfield and Great Expectations. He creates all of these people to produce a story that holds symbols everywhere you turn, and there's a lot to be said for a novel that can hold a number of characters with a good plot. Dickens also began Great Expectations with Pip describing who he was and where he came from; his parents were dead and he lives with his sister who raised him by the hand.
    I think that to truly focus on Holden starting at one point and finishing at another in character development, Salinger didn't need to recall his upbringing and add background. J.D. Salinger wants to show that Holden isn't as flowery as David Copperfield. He was a kid who was so narrow-minded, hypocritical, and full of himself, yet very naive and vulnerable. I personally love Catcher In the Rye for several reasons. It was a book that I couldn't put down and finished before it was even assigned. Holden is such a relatable character, but he is so, so flawed in his assumptions and thoughts. You can't help but finish the book knowing that you are a 'phony,' too, and I hate how he couldn't see how phony he was, acting like something he isn't. Although we all want to grow up and leave everything behind, start a new life, avoid the consequences of our actions, we need to live in the moment and remember where we belong and come from. It's tough, sure, and especially comforting, I guess I could say, to read something like this at this point in our teenage lives. I marked down page 173 and pinned it on my wall, I think that's the part where the book gets its name. It's a personal favorite part of the story. If you haven't read it, you should. With not many people I know who have read it, I dislike keeping all of my reading opinions to myself and not being able to share. If you didn't read it, you won't understand why I was sobbing at the end even when I'm telling you why it hit home. 
     J.D. Salinger didn't want to write another coming-of-age novel for the purpose to be compared to Charles Dickens, he wanted to tell his own story and go against the grain, and that's what Holden Caufield did.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment