Thursday, January 15, 2015

AP PREP POST 1: SIDDHARTHA



  1. The main purpose of the first-person point of view in the passage, “I am no longer what I was, I am no longer an ascetic, no longer a priest, no longer a Brahmin” is to make clear?
    a. The change in Siddhartha’s physical lifestyle, in order to follow his spiritual one
    b. Show Siddhartha’s anger at the corruption present in his father’s position
    c. Reveal the frustration in Siddhartha’s journey toward enlightenment
    d. The views and beliefs of his family and his religion
    e. Draw attention toward the excitement that Siddhartha feels now that he has less responsibility
    •  A I would choose because he is physically n that social class and he wants to leave his life behind, along with those titles
  2. In the beginning of the book, Siddhartha rebels against his father. Later on in the book, Young Siddhartha often rebels against Siddhartha. Which literary technique best describes this?
    a) metaphor
    b)anthropomorphism
    c)allusion
    d)foreshadowing
    e)irony
    • I'm stuck because I can make an argument for foreshadowing, the first time foreshadows the second, but I'm also leading towards irony, because I don't think Siddhartha was expecting his son to do that
  3. What does it mean to be “newly born” from Siddhartha’s point of view? pg 40
    a) To be enlightened, or to have found Self
    b) To be reincarnated, to have started life again in a new body
    c) To be awakened, or having a new understanding
    d) To have been educated, the feeling after you had met the Buddha.
    e) To get to a new town and meet new people
    • C, because of the passage we  read together in class
  1. Essay Prompt:  2013 Free Response: "A bildungsroman, or coming-of-age novel, recounts the psychological or moral development of its protagonist from youth to maturity, when this character recognizes his or her place in the world. Select a single pivotal moment in the psychological or moral development of the protagonist of a bildungsroman. Then write a well-organized essay that analyzes how that single moment shapes the meaning of the work as a whole." 
    • (5/37 of the book options I had read before, but trying to recall the exact moment in each novel was really difficult. I need to master like five novels before the exam and know them inside and out like Mrs. Byrne had suggested.)
  2. Essay Prompt: Explain Siddhartha’s journey in terms of a “quest;” at the same time explain how Siddhartha is an allegory for Buddhism itself.
    •  (I would need to remember what Buddhism is about. Recall what I had learned in AP world history two years ago.)
The skills and content aren't used/recognized as so in daily life so it's hard to understand a lot of the time. I think I need to spend more time being careful, that would help. I need to be a more conscious critical thinker when I do everything. I like to read, but nit-picking is really difficult for me, even just trying to explain how the book made me feel is hard. I need a broader vocabulary, too.

It is kind of funny, I copy and pasted the literal phrase  "AP Literature questions Siddhartha" off of the class blog and on yahoo, I think, and the last link on the page was Miranda Nillo's post for this same assignment! I borrowed her multiple choice questions. I also love her blog!

http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/ap/apcentral/ap13_frq_eng_lit.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment