Monday, August 25, 2014

Happy (Belated) Birthday John Green :)

I MISSED IT BY ONE FLIPPIN' DAY. It was yesterday, the 24th. I feel very disappointed in myself for not figuring this out sooner. Anyways, Happy Birthday John Green!
          When It All Began...
     I first saw/heard about John Green (the author) when Greeley showed us Crash Course videos in WHAP and I loved them so much. I was, and still am, that kid who laughs way too hard at the references and jokes being made. I can't help it if I think they're hilarious. We watched some more in APUSH and in early May of this year Imanie lent me Looking For Alaska. (There's more to that story, but we'll save that for another day.) I had it for a week before reading (I wanted to lessen the distractions before AP tests) and I read it in like three days, ignoring all homework. I finished it on a Friday and the end had a few pages of The Fault In Our Stars. The next morning I bought tfios and read. The second night it was late and I had reached the sad parts. I was sobbing so hard that I woke up my mom who was fast asleep, and she's not a light sleeper. She was genuinely concerned about why I was crying so hard. I just inserted in between sobs, "the book is just so sad!" I ended up finishing the last ten pages in the morning. I love the way he writes, it really makes you feel something.
     The back of the books had a page advertising vlogbrothers on YouTube, the channel in which John and his brother Hank make videos. I checked it out and fell in love with what they did. It started out in 2007 (there is a lot to say and I'd rather not write out the embarrassingly huge amount of stuff I've learned since May/June) and has grown into something great. John and Hank each make one video a week, on Tuesday and on Friday, about anything and everything. I committed myself to watching 2011 through present day's videos which is probably more than a hundred hours, each video being a limit of 4 minutes. I finished around the start of July, I think.Topics literally cover any subject possible. I've truly grown as a person since watching them and my sense of humor has become greater, too. They are two of the smartest people I have ever seen or heard and I've learned so much, I cannot fathom it. Back in May I bought all of John's books. Walmart is the bestest. I must seem a bit obsessed/crazy/really weird, but they're so great (I only read Paper Towns this summer)!
     And, I really don't care if you're judging me right now while reading this. After reading Pride and Prejudice I watched "The Lizzie Bennett Diaries" which is a project that Hank produced that won him an Emmy. They work to decrease world suck, literally, with other projects. John and Hank are the creators of VidCon which brings youtubers together at the Anaheim Convention Center and it's amazing, I plan on attending next summer. I honestly could go on for hours, and probably days, talking about John and Hank Green. If you've made it this far in reading my post, CONGRATULATIONS! Click on my NerdFighter gang sign on the right of the page and it'll take you to the vlogbrother youtube channel, dive on in! Also, check out his books! The other three are An Abundance of Katherines; Will Grayson, Will Grayson; and Let It Snow (I think is the name of the last one, it's the only one I don't own.) I really don't even want to stop this blog post, but I cant regurgitate all of the information that I have acquired from them in one silly sitting.
     Okay, well here is the post that I've been wanting to write for a while. It is very jumbled, but I couldn't stop writing what came into my mind. There's so much to say and not enough time or space to write!

1 comment:

  1. This is so good. Love those Green boys! Keep writing these blog posts, love reading them
    P.S. I found my little blog link, it is very cute

    ReplyDelete