Thursday, August 14, 2014

reflection on today's activity

So today when we had to match the secret fact with the person who wrote it I had found all of the names before many other classmates. I then went around helping my fellow students with who went where. I wanted to make sure we all had the correct information. I don't know if I had forgotten or just didn't listen to the part of the activity where the fist person to complete the task won. I don't mean to be selfish or pompous, but I was done a while before a winner was announced. I don't care about that, but what I do reflect on now is how I didn't go to sit down after I was done and had mine filled out correctly. I wanted to stay and lend a hand to my peers, some of which I don't even know or talk to. I don't want to sound like I'm something great but it interests me why I made that choice to keep going on with the activity even when I was done. Why do we help each other on little trivial things like this activity? Why don't we lend a hand when a person really does need it? To which extent do we sacrifice, or are wiling to, for other people?

2 comments:

  1. You obviously are willing to help a lot of people, but also you are social so I think that played a role in your decision as well. The reason you or I might help someone with this is because it is much easier and convenient to help your classmate with an answer, than buy a homeless man a lunch with your hard earned money. Another reason you might not help someone when they are in need is that you don't really know how much in need they are. For example, someone who hasn't really needed that much help before or seems pretty well off in life is asking you for help or advice. Take me, as an example, who seems like I might have everything together, but I ask you to call me cause I am feeling bad after you are done with homework for the night. You think about calling me during your homework your homework but you put it off. The sun goes down and your working on your homework until 12. You realize you didn't call me but its fine you'll make sure I'm okay tomorrow. The next day you find out something bad happened, I made a bad decision that may have been prevented by your call to check up on me. This isn't totally realistic for me but for other people, I think it might be. I think in this situation, you can realize your ability to really help someone with something little, but that takes effort on your part. Remembering little things or just being there for someone even when you don't feel like it, might have a better effect on them than the disadvantage it creates for you. Even smiling at a homeless person, just acknowledging they exist may change their whole. I think it is about shifting the perspective away from you, and onto others.

    ReplyDelete